Biography of Laurie Rudling
I am an artist of landscape and the built environment.
I take my inspiration from direct observation of the world and human influences upon it. I draw more from the realist rather than naturalist traditions and as such transform, transpose and synthesize in the search for the essential in any particular place. Some "places" indeed exist more in my mind than the world.
My work is currently divided between intricately drawn, deeply bitten two plate etchings of landscape and richly textured collaged plates producing collagraph prints of often mysterious architectural spaces. All are inked on the plate and printed on a 24" Bewick etching press in my studio in Norwich. With the collagraphs the inkings vary from print to print in a constantly evolving experimental series. At times I embark upon monoprint and mixed-media pieces using press, silk-screen and pastel techniques creating a series of very unique part painted, part printed images.
I trained in painting at Keswick Hall near Norwich, with Art History subsequently at Queens' College, Cambridge. I have been a full time artist since 1987 prior to which I pursued a teaching career in the Midlands and London. During many years of studio practice in Devon I also taught a wide range of adult education and Access courses in the Arts.
I moved back to my native East Anglia in 2002 where I have work in various Norfolk and Suffolk galleries and have been elected member of Norwich Twenty Group and show regularly with Norwich Printfair (www.norwichprintfair.co.uk).
Exhibitions and Group Shows. (a selection)
My Studio and images of the Berwick Printing Press.
- Royal Academy Summer Exhibition. 1995, 96.
- Royal west of England Academy, Bristol. 1994-98, 2000-03.
- South-West academy of Fine and Applied Arts. 2001-04.
- National Print Exhibition. 1992, 96, 2002.
- Battersea Contemporary Arts Fair 1995-2003.
- Devon Guild of Craftsmen, Summer Exhibition. 1998-2009, 2011.
- Art in Action, Waterperry Park, Oxon. 2002, 03, 07, 08, 10.
- Norwich Printfair, 2003-07, 2009-12, 2014-16.
- Norwich 20 Group Annual Exhibitions. 2005-16.
- North Norfolk Exhibition Project (Salthouse and Cley) 2005, 08, 11, 13, 15.
- Norfolk Contemporary Art, The Forum Norwich. 2010, 2014.
- Eastern Open, Fermoy Gallery, Kings Lynn. 2007,10,11,12,14.
- "Printfest", Ulverston, Cumbria. 2007, 08.
- "Norwich Printfair at Bankside" Bankside Gallery, London. 2010.
- King of Hearts, Norwich 2003, 07, 08, 10.
- Assembly House, Norwich
"Flying Colours, Fascinating Forms” 2011.
"Heart of Norfolk" 2013.
- Castle Museum, Norwich.
"Vision and Reality" 2012.
"Inspired by Birds" 2014.
- Landmark Arts Centre Art Fairs, 2011-13, 2015.
- Childwickbury Arts Festival. St Albans. 2013,14,17.
- Walford Mill Crafts, Wimbourne. "Inspire" 2013.
- Reading Contemporary Art Fair 2016,17.
- "Countryfile Live" (BBC) Blenheim Palace. 2016.